Monday, July 3, 2017

Port Ludlow report by Jim Gormly

Beyond Kitsap Peninsula, across the Hood Canal, there is a greenbelt in Port Ludlow, ca. 2000x400 feet. It is a second-growth forest primarily with western red cedar, douglas fir and large-leaf maple trees. It is mostly shaded, but there is the occasional small open area free of trees. The understory is mainly sword fern, salmon berry, blackberry and other nasty vines. Apparently, a few years ago a beetle infestation caused the death of a large number of alders.

Yesterday I became aware of an area, perhaps 75x25 feet rectangle of dead ferns. I estimate that more than 50 plants were obvious. Since I don't know how the problem is transmitted, I chose not to be a vector, just in case it might be a spore transfer, so I didn't climb in to get a more accurate number of dead ferns. Throughout the greenbelt, there is the occasional dead or dying fern, but this is clearly the largest concentration I observed. There was also a dying salal plant among the cluster of dead ferns (see photo). I'm sorry the exposure is not the best.

When I saw the dead ferns, my first reaction was that someone dumped a herbicide, but that made no sense, so I did a Google search and found your blog. I must say that this is very disconcerting. I hope you find a solution. I will continue to monitor here, and will update you as time passes. . We have extensive greenbelts here with trails through them, and many residents enjoy walking the trails. It would be a sad loss if the apparent trend continues. 


Jim Gormly

No comments:

Post a Comment